- 150g pitted medjool dates
- 250g cooked beetroot chopped into small chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 50g melted butter (or sub for coconut oil for dairy free version)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 40g cocoa powder unsweetened
- 175g ground almonds
- 1 sachet Bimuno
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch sea salt
Cream cheese swirl ingredients:
- 100g cream cheese (or sub for dairy free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 180C (fan) and line a 20cm x 20cm or similar dimensions pan with parchment paper. Leave a little overhang on the sides.
- Place the dates in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for 10-15 mins. Drain and add to a food processor with the chopped beetroot. Pulse to combine to get a thick puree. Use a spatula to stop and scrape a couple of times.
- Add the eggs, butter and vanilla extract and process again until fully combined.
- Add the ground almonds, cocoa powder, Bimuno sachet, bicarb of soda and salt to the food processor and pulse to combine evenly.
- Using a spatula transfer the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat together the cream cheese swirl ingredients.
- Drop in 12 evenly spaced teaspoons across the batter and using the sharp edge of a knife create a gentle swirl.
- Bake for 35-40 mins until the brownies are just set with a little wobble. Leave to cool completely in the pan for 30 mins. Transfer using the overhang of the parchment paper to lift out onto a board. Leave a further 30 mins before cutting into squares.