Prebiotics are one of the most exciting technologies in gut health! Studies demonstrate that prebiotic supplements can work naturally in the gut, selectively nourishing beneficial ‘good bacteria’, which ferments dietary fibre. Beneficial bacteria, such as bifidobacteria, aid in digestion and help the body to produce the important and useful nutrients that it needs, including short chain fatty acids.
While most kinds of bacteria in the gut have a role to play in the body, many are less useful to us, or benign. Selective fermentation means that prebiotics can promote growth of these beneficial bacteria, without also feeding other types.
Benefits associated with a well-supported gut microbiome include:
- Boosting overall digestive health
- Improving the barrier function of the gut
- Supporting the immune system
- Reducing the inflammation and symptoms associated with a sensitive stomach
- Minimising the risk of developing diarrhoea
- Enhancing the body’s mineral and nutrient uptake
- Contributing positively to your mental health, including stress, anxiety and sleep health
- Increasing absorption of calcium to improve bone density
- Lowering some potential risk factors for cardiovascular disease
Galactooligosaccharides (GOS) are the most advanced form of prebiotics and are designed to alter the colonic microbiota in favour of a more beneficial composition.
In supporting a balanced, well-functioning gut microbiome, we could also be positively influencing wider bodily health!
More on Prebiotics
What Are Prebiotics
If you’re investigating how to support your gut health, you may come across the term ‘prebiotics’. Prebiotics are complex carbohydrates, usually fi...
Prebiotics and sleep
Research suggests that the answer to a good night’s sleep may lie in the gut. Scientists at the University of Colorado Boulder conducted a study to...
Looking to support the body’s natural functions? Your gut could hold the key! Studies show that gut health can influence the immune system, ment...
Sleep Health & PrebioticsBy Bimuno March 10, 2021
The Gut Microbiome
How seasonal changes can alter the gut microbiomeBy Bimuno December 14, 2020
What do we know about prebiotics and how they work?By Bimuno November 19, 2020
Five key benefits of prebiotic fibreBy Bimuno November 18, 2020