Who says salads have to be dull? Whether you’re looking for the ideal side salad, or a quick and easy lunch that’s perfect for al fresco dining or picnics, we’ve put together a recipe that’s easy to follow, quick to prepare and with rich flavours. The best part is that it’s gut friendly and full of nutrients that the body loves!
Light Summer Salad - Serves 4
- Baby courgettes 400g (or swap to standard courgettes and cut to 2-3cm - these will take a little longer on the grill)
- 1tsp ghee (enough for a thin coating - substitute for coconut oil if preferred)
- Yellow beans 200g (or green beans)
- Thai basil leaves 15g (or sweet basil)
- Fresh mint leaves 20g
- Kale 125g
- 1tbsp sea salt
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 20ml Apple cider vinegar
- 50g Feta cheese
- Freshly ground pink peppercorns
- 20g toasted flaked almonds
- 1 sachet of Bimuno® DAILY
- Cut the courgettes in half, lengthways. Top and tail the Yellow beans
- Heat a griddle pan to high heat
- Start to griddle the courgettes giving each a little space. You may have to do this in batches - 5 minutes on each side until charred and tender
- Steam beans for 5-10 min
- Wash and slice the kale if not pre-prepared. Steam kale for 5min
- For the dressing, mix olive oil, Bimuno, salt and apple cider vinegar together. Add torn, washed mint leaves
- Toast the almonds lightly in a pan
- When plating up, put kale at the bottom of the bowl to soak up the dressing
- Layer the courgetti and beans, pour dressing on generously
- Add basil leaves towards the end of the process. Sprinkle crumbled feta, pink peppercorns and toasted almonds over the top
Why is this good for the gut?
Courgette, also known as zucchini, is high in fibre – a great nutrient for gut health. In addition, it also contains many important vitamins, such as B6, C and K. Yellow beans, or green if substituted, are also a great source of fibre, as well as protein, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. They are also rich in protein, which helps to maintain healthy bones and muscles. The recipe also includes Bimuno® DAILY. Our prebiotic fibre supplement feeds and nourishes bifidobacteria, a ‘good’ gut bacteria that are shown to support areas such as immune health, mental health and cognition. They can even influence how well we sleep!
Recipe developed by @lets_eat_better_together
Meet Navneeta Gough (@lets_eat_better_together), a mother of two young children who is passionate about using the power of food to make positive health changes. She embarked on her own wellness journey and found that supporting good gut bacteria is the key. Navneeta has transformed her health and wellbeing through diet prompted by her experience with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and lost an impressive 5 stone in just two years. We’ve partnered with Navneeta to develop a range of nutritious ‘gut-friendly’ recipes for you to try! As well as trying out Navneeta’s gut-friendly recipe yourself, why not visit her Instagram account and follow her journey?
Gut health doesn’t need to be complex – there are handy everyday options for supporting your good gut bugs. Get inspired and take a look at our other ideas below:
Looking to support the body’s natural functions? Your gut could hold the key! Studies show that gut health can influence the immune system, ment...
Because gut health plays such a key role in our bodies, what we put into it can have a big impact. There is a large body of evidence that highli...
What are the best foods for your gut? Want to learn how to make your own kefir, kombucha tea or even sauerkraut? Follow the links below for gut-...