Christmas has been cited as the ‘windiest season’ with over 20% of the UK admitting to having arguments or falling out over flatulence during the festive period!
Dr Ayan Panja led a series of festive radio interviews commenting on the research on behalf of Bimuno. “People often don’t realise that 60% of the body’s immune system lives in the gut, so looking after it can make a huge difference.”
Here are our top tips to help you to maintain a healthy gut over Christmas so you can enjoy Christmas and be happy!
- Eat more whole foods - a variety of fruit and vegetables, pulses, nuts and wholegrains feed healthy bacteria in your gut. (If your diet is low in fibre, a sudden increase can cause wind and bloating. Minimise this by making gradual changes and drink extra water)
- Avoid antibiotics if possible, but if you really need them, make sure you eat lots of foods that boost your microbes afterwards like fermented cheese and live yoghurt
- Have a run of sugar and alcohol free days in the run up to the festive season
- Manage your stress. Exercise, meditation, mindfulness can all help
- Make life easier. We know it’s a hectic period so make healthier living a little easier and take a daily supplement. There are lots of good options available, including Bimuno which promotes the growth of ‘good’ bacteria in your gut
Wishing you a healthy & happy Christmas