Your gut is home to 70% of your body’s immune cells, making a healthy gut central to a strong immune system. Gut bacteria are essential for a healthy immune system. The intestinal cells of the gut are covered by a protective mucous layer which some bacteria use as food.
Follow these five simple steps for good gut health:
- Love fibre - Foods rich in fibre feed friendly bacteria in your gut. Top up your intake with fruits, veggies, oats, whole-grains, seeds and pulses like chickpeas and beans.
- Find your calm - Just like your brain, your gut is sensitive to stress, with studies showing that high-stress levels can disrupt beneficial gut bacteria. Whether it’s meditation, reading or a warm bath, take some time to de-stress.
- Move your body - Regular exercise prevents constipation and can even increase the range of helpful microbes in your gut. Find something you love, and aim for 30 active minutes each day.
- Go big on plants - Plant-based foods are packed with nutrients that are important for gut health. Fill your plate with lots of colourful fruits and veggies, aiming for 5-6 different types a day.
- Power up with prebiotics - Prebiotics are special types of fibres that increase beneficial microbes in the gut. Prebiotics are naturally found in onions, leeks, garlic, asparagus and artichoke, but you can also top up levels with a supplement like Bimuno®.
Found this interesting? Here are some more posts relating to...
Gut HealthView all
Looking to support the body’s natural functions? Your gut could hold the key! Studies show that gut health can influence the immune system, mental health, mood, and even your sleep. Find out more about the importance of beneficial bacteria to the function of the gut microbiome.
Butternut Squash and Courgette Salad with Whipped FetaBy Bimuno October 27, 2021
The Gut Microbiome Resources
The Gut Microbiome – capturing attention and headlinesBy Bimuno July 30, 2021
Cycling and the gutBy Bimuno July 2, 2021
Gut health and sport – what do we know?By Bimuno July 1, 2021
Topics relating to gut health
Health and Wellbeing
We all know about some of the health challenges in how we consume and digest food, but did you know that your gut can have an influence on other...
Because gut health plays such a key role in our bodies, what we put into it can have a big impact. There is a large body of evidence that highli...
Some thoughts influence the digestive processes in the gut e.g. thinking about eating a delicious meal can make your tummy grumble. But the gast...